Children & Young People's Service
We believe that children and young people have a right to feel safe, valued and listened to and have a confidential service in their own right. We believe that they are also affected by domestic violence. We will:
- Believe what children and young people tell us about what has happened
- Listen to what they think
- Help them to share how they feel with others
- Take seriously any reports of bullying while being supported by the refuge and do something about it if necessary
- Value and recognise what they can do
- Treat all children and young people as individuals
- Make sure everyone's needs are considered, taking into account their religious needs and giving equal chances to boys and girls
- Support all young people to take part at their own pace and ability
- Give children and young people the chance to make choices
- Let children and young people have fun
The types of support we can provide include support and information to mothers or carers around behaviour management. We can help mothers or carers to rebuild their relationships with their children. Individual support sessions and group activities and outings are also provided, as well as access to play therapy or counselling.
We also have a playroom in the refuge where the children take part in activites with our staff.
All staff working with children and young people, paid or unpaid have had a criminal records bureau check completed. They have completed training so they can work with children and young people as well as specific training for Rotherham Women's Refuge.